ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The secret journals of an avid cyclist (The origins)

~In which things go 'Poing', The recruiting of Q, The planning
of the Trip, The search for the perfect day ~

Like I might have said before, something in my mind went 'poing' ever since I bought the bike. To top it all off, there is a magnificent landscaped garden, the Englischer Garten, right behind my building at the Studentenstadt. Little wonder therefore that my recent and most passionate hobby is cycling. I cycle everywhere possible; to the market; to the town; yea, even to the 'loo and the washbasin. The only problem with the last two destinations is that the moment I sit upon the saddle, I have already arrived.

Being so minded, it was but natural that I would soon tire of these daily, paltry, 5 km rides and look forward to, literally speaking, greener pastures. And so it came to pass that I bought a map of the lakes in Bavaria and planned a route along the 'Forggensee', a small lake in the vicinity of Füssen, a small village at the foot of the Alps. Naturally, such trips are not much fun when one has no company and so I recruited another like-minded soul, Q. (from Poland), to accompany me. We planned this trip initially for the 19th of A. But you know how it is, 'Man proposes and God disposes'. The weather was bad and the only worthwhile thing I did on that day was buy a network card so that I could sit in front if the computer screen 24 hours a day and gawk at my mailbox and other similar and practically useless sites -- almost catching two viruses whilst engaged in the pleasant activity of slavering over scantily clad *ahem!*, I digress, but you get the picture... or rather, I hope you don't.

The next weekend looked promising. Saturday dawned and my hopes rose along with the rising sun (to be more precise, I rose after the sun had already risen, had had breakfast and was doing a brisk jog across the heavens… in other words, I rose pretty late.) Although the day looked promising, Q. counseled caution. His suggestion was that as Sunday was expected to be even better, we might as well put it off by another day. This was no big deal, I had already had this trip postponed for 2 weeks, and a day was no big addition. We dutifully agreed to meet in the kitchen at 7:15 and try and catch the train at 8:51 am from the Hauptbahnhof. This done, we shook our hands on it a couple of times and retired to our respective occupations; he, to a party and self to my room to check if by any inexplicable chance someone had sent me a mail in the last 5 minutes. (no-one had, by the way!)

The day ended and the next day dawned... full of promise and hopes for a sunny pleasant day. (to be contd.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home