ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A self portrait

I haven't thought of much to post. Actually, I have. But I need to put it down into words and, me being me, this takes some time. But, to fill space in the meanwhile, I've put together a little description of the unique combination of atoms, molecules, genes, quarks and yoghurt that make up the unique personality of the writer... namely me!

I have been described as a man of many faces. While this might just be a colorful metaphor when applied to some, it describes me aptly. There is, for example the morning face, when I've just got out of bed and am trying to unstick my eyelids so that I can make it to the bathroom without seriously concussing myself. This is followed shortly by the fully awake face which is about the time I realize I've dipped said face into a basin of freezing cold water instead of the satisfyingly warm one I've been expecting: an incident that repeats itself day to day. Imaginative readers and first-hand viewers would have no problem in comparing this to the expressions of primates, who've suddenly realized that what they thought was a cushiony green plant to sit upon, is the plant-kingdom equivalent of a pin-cushion.

Then of course, there is the clean shaven consummate gentlemanly face (when I've applied razor and cream to the facial "fungus") and the unshaven, wanted-dead-or-alive version thereof (when I've not applied listed items). There's the bright cheerful and helpful face, applied to students when they ask me questions, and there's the clouded, serious and confused face - which follows when I can't answer the questions. This is usually followed by an off the cuff remark on the lines of "Bugger off, and read! That's what the books are for." Of course, this is more the meaning than the content of my remarks.

I am well built. So well built, in fact, that my fiefdom has encroached into the space (previously empty) around my tummy. I love comedy. Not the slapstick ones, please, but the good, serious ones. I hate tragedy (in uppercase). I'd like to think myself a hopeless romantic, but people stop after the first adjective.

I like lazy Sundays, spent in Cafe's and on the street. I love walking around, discovering new places and, sometimes, rediscovering old ones. I am rather old fashioned in some aspects, I would rather read a book that I can hold than some electronic form, which brings me to my pet hobby... reading. I read avidly, voraciously and gluttonously (insofar as that is possible). Books that make me a part of them from beginning to the end are books I love. I am a certified bibliophile...although I probably lost my certificate under the stack of books in my living room.

My Saturday afternoons are spent in visiting the local bookstore, drinking a Latte Macchiato whilst reading something interesting. I've managed to read three lovely books, so far, to the accompaniment of much coffee and cakes, winning, in addition, the sympathies of the rather fetching woman who serves them in the course of my literary and gustatory activities.

I have simple tastes, although this does not apply to food. My taste buds have outstripped the rest of me, and are quite evolved. They have developed their own religion, and conduct sabbaths and prayer meetings once in a while. They aim to please their God Taste. Not wanting to have jihadi taste-buds mounting suicide missions, I've had to develop my cooking skills.

That, as far as I can remember, is me. All of it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home